Tips for filing a water damage insurance claim
Water damage is the second most frequently filed insurance claim in the United States. According to the Insurance Information Institute, about one in every fifty homes has a property damage claim caused by water damage or freezing each year. The most common causes for water damage are broken pipes, faulty plumbing, and buildup in areas prone to collecting water (crawl spaces, attics, basements, etc.), defective household appliances, and malfunctioning HVAC systems. If something has caused water damage in your home, then you must begin to mitigate the damage immediately and prevent any future damage.
Follow these helpful tips when dealing with a water damage insurance claim:
- You must stop the source of the damage immediately. If water is still flowing, then shut off the water supply to your house.
- Document everything. Take photos of the damage. Keep records of every phone call with you insurance company, including date, time and details.
- Save receipts. If you start any repairs yourself, then save the receipts for tools or equipment you purchase. If you need to stay in a hotel, then save receipts for the hotel and any living expenses you acquired because you were temporarily displaced.
- Do not make any permanent repairs yourself until the insurance adjuster has visited your home and assessed the damage.
- Do not throw anything away until the adjuster or insurance company has instructed you too.
- Call a professional to begin mitigating the damage immediately.
SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville specializes in water damage restoration. We are available 24/7 every day of the year.
Free Continuing Education Class- 2 credits
"Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry"
We invite all local insurance professionals to our upcoming continuing education class, "Understanding Mold in the Restoration Industry", on October 24th. The class will held at the St. Tammany West Chamber of Commerce located at 610 Holycrest Blvd. in Covington. Registration is for 10:30 am and the class will be from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm.
What you can expect to learn:
The insurance professional will gain a better understanding of how mold affects today’s society. They will also become more aware of the different entities that participate in the mold restoration industry.
The insurance professional will learn about mold, mold growth requirements, and the goals of mold remediation followed by professional vendors.
For more information and to register please send an email to kayla@SERVPROofcovington.com.
Free Continuing Education Class - 2 credits
We invite all local insurance professionals to our upcoming continuing education class, "Biohazard", on October 24th. The class will held at the St. Tammany West Chamber of Commerce located at 610 Holycrest Blvd. in Covington. Registration is for 8:00 am and the class will be from 8:30 am to 10:30 am.
What you will learn:
This course is designed to assist you in understanding the processes that are involved in cleaning homes and buildings that are or may be contaminated with viruses and blood borne pathogens. This course also discusses appropriate ways to communicate with customers who have recently dealt with the traumatic event that has caused this contamination.
For more information or to register please send an email to kayla@SERVPROofcovington.com.
Are you financially prepared for an emergency?
September Is National Preparedness Month
This year's theme for National Preparedness Month is "Disasters Don't Plan Ahead. You can". You may have created an evacuation plan for your family and employees, but are you financially prepared for an emergency?
Follow these steps to help you financially plan for a disaster:
1- Gather all important financial documents
- Insurance documents for home and vehicles
- Mortgage or real estate deeds
- Vehicle registration
- Utility bills
- Credit card bills
- Tax statements
- Retirement account documents
- Estate planning documents
2- Try to build a specific emergency savings account
3- Review your insurance policies with your agent
- Do you have flood coverage for your home?
- Do you have full coverage on your vehicle in case of flooding or excessive wind and hail damage?
Take some time this month to make sure you, your family, and your business will be financially safe in the event of a hurricane or other natural disaster. For more information on National Preparedness Month click here.
Tips For Preparing Your Business For A Hurricane:
Is your small business prepared for an emergency? How would your employees respond? How soon after a hurricane warning do you need to close your business?
Anyone who has lived in South Louisiana long enough has probably learned basic tips for preparing their homes and family members for a hurricane:
- Know your evacuation plan
- Fill up your gas tank
- Compile necessary supplies (food, water, flashlights, radio, etc.)
- Bring all important documents with you when evacuating
However, not everyone creates an emergency plan for their small business. Creating an emergency plan will help you communicate better with employees and reopen as fast as possible after a storm.
Tips for readying your business for an emergency:
- Before a storm inspect building and make any necessary repairs
- Make a list of emergency contacts for employees and establish where each person plans on evacuating to in an emergency
- Create an inventory list of your business and office contents for insurance purposes
- Assemble insurance documents and financial records and bring with you when evacuating
- Relocate company vehicles to a safe area not prone to flooding
For more information on how to prepare for a hurricane please visit ready.gov.
SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville Satisfied Customers
SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville proudly serves our community. We specialize in water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, and mold remediation. We understand how difficult and emotional it can be to deal with a disaster. Our crew works hard to provide relief for our customers and assure them we can make it "Like it never even happened."
Here are a few customer testimonials of our water damage restoration services:
"I contacted Coty and asked him to be on standby while I called corporate for directions. We had an emergency situation. Coty had a crew working within two hours. I found it exceptional that they were here as quickly as possible and began working immediately." - Lisa
"We are very pleased with the professionalism and the services provided, but I think what impressed us the most was the respect we were given by the two gentlemen who worked with us. Thank you for the exceptional work and for exceeding our expectations. I hope that God gives us other, if less messy, opportunities to work together again in the future." - a local Covington business
"Wonderful experience working with you guys. Thank you for everything!!" - Marc
We love helping our community and are always thrilled to hear great customer feedback!
Tips For Preventing Mold Growth
In as little as 48 hours, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business when there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line. Mold can cause health effects and can also cause significant damage to your property.
To prevent mold growth follow these tips:
- Keep the humidity between 30 to 60 percent
- Provide for proper drainage away from building foundation
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris
- Inspect the roof, windows, and other areas where water might enter the building
- Keep heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) drip pans clean, flowing properly, and unobstructed
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately
To learn more about our mold remediation process click here.
We're here to help
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 985-871-5375
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville
SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Click here to meet our crew
Click here to learn more about our work around town
Does your home have a mold problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today- 985-871-5375
For more information about the mold remediation process click here.
Attention Louisiana Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Greater Covington ans Mandeville for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Greater Covington and Mandeville specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 985-871-5375
To see examples of the mold remediation process click here.