Four Mold Myths Debunked
Myth #1: Your house and business can and should be totally free of mold.
Truth: Microscopic spores are all around us, both indoors and outdoors. Tiny, invisible to the naked eye mold spores enter our homes and businesses through open doors and windows, heating and air conditioning systems, and can even be carried in by our pets. If you were to have an indoor air quality professional or an industrial hygienist conduct a mold test in your home or business, then you would learn every indoor space has an acceptable or natural mold spore count. The problem arrives when you have an elevated mold spore count or see visible mold growing on materials inside your property. In those cases, you should contact us immediately for mold remediation services.
Myth #2: Black mold is toxic.
Truth: Thousands of different mold species have been scientifically identified in the United States. Some molds appearing to be black are actually a dark green color. The most commonly known dark green mold species associated with health concerns is Stachybotrys chartarum. However, not all dark green or black colored molds are Stachybotrys. Regardless of which specific species of mold you may have in your home or business, you should have it removed. Also, despite the particular species, all microbial growths should be remediated using the same method: position containment around the affected area, stabilize the environment, removed affected porous materials, clean and disinfect remaining nonporous materials, and "scrub" the contaminated room with a HEPA air scrubber. Please note, the source of the issue must first be identified and resolved.
Myth #3: Bleach kills mold.
Truth: Bleach does not kill microbial growth. Bleach will discolor the mold spores for a short period, but the mold will continue on growing. Eventually, you will notice colored microbial growth again. Also, as previously stated, microbial growth is caused by a moisture problem and the original source must be corrected. Applying bleach to the affected material will only amplify the moisture problem.
Myth #4: You can remediate mold yourself.
Truth: While you may be very capable of removing affected materials, like drywall and carpet yourself, without the necessary professional equipment and expertise you risk spreading the microscopic mold spores throughout more rooms in the property. Remember, the first few steps in our mold remediation process are to set up containment around the affected area and to stabilize the environment. Our protocol works to prevent the spreading of microscopic spores by protecting the unaffected areas. By utilizing negative airflow and air scrubbers with HEPA filters, our mold remediation technicians can not only remove microbial growth but also protect the rest of your home or business. Our mold remediation technicians are trained and certified to properly remove microbial growth. Trust our professionals.
For questions regarding indoor microbial growth issues or for a mold remediation quote, please contact our office by dialing 985-871-5375.